Social Networking Scavenger Hunt for Parents of Teens
In an effort to help parents of teens understand Social networking sites such as MySpace and Facebook we have created this webpage with several resource links on it. In those sites you will find the answers to the following questions. These questions are listed below. If you would like to print them out and take notes as you go along in the scavenger hunt, then click the following link and print out the form.
Start with this link:
1. What things are important for teens to keep to keep private when using online sites – about themselves, family members and friends?
2. Name 3 forms that online bullying can take?
3. What are some steps to take of you or your child suspect abusive, suspicious, or inappropriate online behavior?
Now take a look at this site on safety tips for teens and tweens:
4. Why is flirting with strangers online something that could have serious consequences?
5. Before meeting someone in person that you met online what are some things to think about to stay safe?
Take a look at this Parent's Guide to Social Networking:
6. Why is it that once you post information online, it can't neccesarily be taken back?
7. Explain why it is important to help you child set privacy settings when using online social sites.
Read this short article about staying safe on social network sites:
8. Explain why it is important to have strong passwords on your account?
9. Why should you be skeptical of things you ready online?
10. Posting personal information or photos of yourself can be dangerous. Why?
If you have further questions or concerns about your teen using Social Networking Sites please contact your student’s guidance counselor or write or email us at the CESU Technology Helpdesk and we will help you or find resources to assist you.
CESU Help Desk
211 Browns Trace Jericho, VT 05465
Phone: 802-899-4093 (Inside MMU x4093)